Are you as excited as us to know that summer is just right around the corner? It also doesn’t hurt with this beautiful weather with the windows open! So in honor of the up coming season – we are getting ready to start cooling down with some refreshing seasonal veggies – and what is better to kick off with that cucumbers??
The Mini Cucumber is becoming more popular with fresh veggie lovers and healthy or dieting eaters alike. Why? Mini cucumbers have thinner skin, which is less bitter tasting than your average field Cucumber. Plus, they’re seedless, juicy, extra crunchy, healthy and fun snack for everyone! Canadian greenhouse mini cucumbers are in peak season, so you’ll find them in our stores as of today!
Here is one of our favorite oldie-but-goodie recipes for cucumbers – you can never go wrong with the tomato, onion cucumber salad!
Tomato, Cucumber And Sweet Onion Salad With Cumin Salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) coarse sea salt
- 2 1/4 pound(s) tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound(s) cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1. In a skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderately high heat until fragrant, 30 seconds; transfer to a mortar and let cool. Add the salt and grind to a coarse powder.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the cumin salt over the salad and toss. Serve the salad on a platter.