Cantaloupes are a great value for their price right now – and you’ll find them on sale throughout the month of April in our online store!
These are being imported from Central America, so while they’re still tasty for your fruit salads you been craving all winter – you’ll want to hold out for local lopes in summer that will give you that ripe, sweet and sticky full-flavored taste!
Remember strawberries and pineapples are also great in-season buys in April so pick up some of them as well to add to your fruit salad!
Cantaloupe Fruit Salad
1 cantaloupe, halved
1/2 honeydew melon, seeded
1/4 cup superfine sugar or 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or 1 cup raspberries or 1 cup blueberries
1 cup seedless black grapes or 1 cup red seedless grapes
1. Using a non-toxic marker, draw a zigzag pattern on the cantaloupe.
2. Cut deeply into the melon along the pattern.
3. Separate the halves and seed.
4. Use a melon baller to scoop the flesh from the cantaloupe and honeydew into balls.
5. Set aside.
6. In a large glass or ceramic bowl, combine the sugar, lime juice, orange liqueur and lime peel.
7. Stir well until sugar is dissolved.
8. Add the melon balls, berries and grapes.
9. Toss gently to combine.
10. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend flavours, stirring a couple of times.
11. Spoon the fruit mixture into the hollowed out melon halves or into serving bowls.
12. Serve immediately.See more recipes at http://www.food.com/recipe/fruit-salad-in-a-cantaloupe-basket-254298?oc=linkback