Cali and Mexico are having a good Asparagus season, generating a thicker crop this year – but don’t be fooled that is is too tough to eat, this asparagus crop is delicious and is cooking up great! Packed with lots of vitamins and nutrients, Asparagus just brings Spring into full effect this month.
Some facts on Asparagus:
– It is a rich source of folic acid (containing about 30% of the Daily Value in about 6 spears!) And those 6 spears only host about 20 calories so you can much as much as you like for dinner tonight!
– It is also a good source of Vitamin A for healthy vision and Vitamin K, which assists in blood clotting
– DYK it is a native of the eastern Mediterranean region, and has been eaten by humans for at least 3,000 years!
– newly planted Asparagus takes 3 years to be harvested (it takes that long for the root system to develop)
– Ancient Greeks used Asparagus as a pain reliever for toothaches.
Broiled Asparagus with Cotija Cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and peeled (if desired)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, grated or shredded