We love the holidays and we’re feeling the giving season already with this awesome giveaway in 3 of our 5 locations!
1. You must ‘like’ our Facebook page. (the store you shop from!) Click the location below to visit the Facebook page.
– Jackson Heights
– New Hyde Park
**you can also enter to win by following us on Instagram! Follow us here: www.instagram.com/nyfreshdelivery
2. You must be a shopper at our store! (Proof of purchase within the location must be verified via receipt if chosen as winner, so make sure to save them all month!)
And that’s it! We want to show appreciation to our customers, so if you shop at Ferreira Foodtown, be sure to enter to win! Also, check out our other give aways going on:
Win an autographed Jet’s Jersey!
Thanksgiving Dinner give away will consist of (one) thanksgiving turkey and all the fixings valued over $100!
If you’re not hearing pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin, you’re hearing BUTTERNUT SQUASH! And why not? ‘Tis the season for this nutty-flavor hard squash that can be used in many different ways!
- the most famous – butternut squash soup! Check out this recipe for Butternut Squash Soup on allrecipes.com – seems to the majority favorite!
- Roasting/boiled or steamed – like sweet potatoes and carrots orange cousins! Butternut squash can be delicious all by itself as a sidedish – sprinkle with some butter and brown sugar and you’ll thank us later!
- Bake and add to salads with Kale and apples (that are also in season and for sale in all of our stores!)
– Try this Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Vinegarette Recipe from Foodnetwork.com or
– get creative with this Butternut Squash Lasagna
Don’t forget – It’s healthy too! Butternuts are rich in vitamins, nutrients and anti-oxidants!
How the heck do you prepare Butternut Squash?
You have to start by cutting it into sections – which can be tricky, so be careful
Peel the blub and then halve it. Scrape out the seeds. Chop the flesh into bite sized pieces, and now it’s ready to boil or steam or roast!
** You’ll know when the squash is done when it is easily pierced with a fork, and the flesh is soft enough to chew.
It’s finally cooling off and everyone is thinking pumpkin, pumpkin pumpkin but we’re thinking – EGGPLANT!
Fresh, local eggplant continues to be an excellent choice from farm here on the eastern side of the continent, like right here in our backyard – New Jersey! If you pick some up now, prices are affordable because produce is abundant!
How do you eat/cook eggplant?
Eggplant is great for roasting, grilling, frying and even steaming!
Try some of these easy and delicious recipes from RealSimple.com
How to Select a Good Eggplant:
You want an eggplant that is more firm than soft, and doesn’t have any brown or sunken areas. It’s also good if the eggplant still has green left in the stem.
You also want to make sure to store the eggplant at room temperature until you use it – not the fridge, and not direct sunlight. The fridge can make the eggplant lose it’s flavor – believe it or not!!